Daily Word Of God
Matthew 27:11, 15, 20, 24, 26b, 28-29, 31, 46, 50
Jesus was brought before the governor, and the governor put to him this question, ‘Are you the king of the Jews?’ Jesus replied, ‘It is you who say it.’ At festival time it was the governor’s practice to release a prisoner for the people, anyone they chose. The chief priests and the elders, however, had persuaded the crowd to demand the release of Barabbas and the execution of Jesus.
Then Pilate saw that he was making no impression, that in fact a riot was imminent. So he took some water, washed his hands in front of the crowd and said, ‘I am innocent of this man’s blood. It is your concern.’ After having Jesus scourged he handed him over to be crucified. They stripped him and put a scarlet cloak round him, and having twisted some thorns into a crown they put this on his head and placed a reed in his right hand. To make fun of him they knelt to him saying, Hail, king of the Jews!’ And when they had finished making fun of him, they took off the cloak and dressed him in his own clothes and led him away to crucifixion.
And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ‘Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?’ that is, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’ Jesus, again crying out in a loud voice, yielded up his spirit.
Today's Pointers on God's Word
As you read the passage what words, phases or meanings caught your attention?
- Today’s reading gives us a vivid account of Jesus’ sufferings. This is a good opportunity for us to mediate and reflect on Jesus suffering now.
– Jesus being scourged, beaten and whipped,
– A crown of thorns pressed into his skull.
– A heavy cross harshly forced upon him to carry
– His hands and feet being cruelly nailed to the cross
– His death was agonizing and humiliating
- All His disciples deserted Him except for His mother and three women along with John, the beloved disciple. Will you spend quiet time and stay with Jesus today!
- Ponder on God’s great love for you today!